Halloween Pet Hazards

It’s not only the “treats” that can be dangerous, but other things as well. The most dangerous foods include: chocolate, nuts, raisins, mints, chewing gum, and many baked goods. Anything that contains xylitol, an artificial sweetener, is particularly toxic. This product is 5 x sweeter than regular sugar and is frequently found in chewing gum and baked goods and “diet candies”. Xylitol must always be avoided as it can cause liver failure and death. Any and all treats should be avoided as even the colorful wrappers can cause a problem. Also the colorful decorations like “Glow sticks” and Glow Jewelry” and cutouts, foam figurines, tempt playful pets to investigate and sometimes take a bite. Small ornaments are particularly dangerous to puppies and kittens because if swallowed Intestinal blockages can result. Watch out for exposed electric cords. Some pets become frightened and eve n aggressive with all the noise and front door bells ringing. Especially when strangers in costume show up at the door. Those pets that do not join in the the festivities should be consoled, confined in a quiet room, and some may need veterinary help in the form of mild sedatives. Get them ahead of time and have them handy, just in case. Make sure proper identification is on your pet. With the front door opening and closing, many dogs and cats will want “escape” from all the noise and excitement. Use a quick release collar for cats and a good strong leather collar for dogs. Both must have identification tags and Rabies tags. Permanent identification in the form of a microchip is always best.