The ASPCA has reported that as the human population ages, more and more medications are prescribed, and more poisonings occur in our pets. In fact, last year more than 1/3rd of all pet poisonings reported were in fact from ingesting human medications. That figure is actually over 3000 cases in New York State alone. The most common reported is the moisture absorbents found in most medications. These are little silica packets that prevent moisture from ruining the medicine. They cause gastric upsets and can cause an intestinal blockage. The two most commonly reported over the counter NSAIDS are ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Naproxen). All are toxic to animals. All cardiac medications should be avoided and kept locked up. Non-aspirin pain relievers such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) are also very dangerous. Other type of medications include cold medications, cough and allergy medications, and antidepressants. Although, many of these cases are accidental, all are avoidable. You must make sure no medications fall to the floor and all must be put away and out of reach. Puppies and kittens are usually the more likely candidates for playing and consuming these items listed above. Keep activated charcoal and hydrogen peroxide in the house, just in case, but do not use unless advised to do so. Please note: the direct line of the Animal Poison Control Center is 888-426-4435.